Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

Source: Local Indie
Pub Date: September 5th, 2017
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Series: N/A
Format: Finished Copy

   I can't believe 2018 is finally here! Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel was my first full read of the new year!  I am still making my way through Oathbringer and my re-read of Red Rising!  I first saw this book being showcased at BookCon last June.  I was waiting in line for a signing at the Entangled Teen booth and the cover caught my eye.  I wasn't able to get a copy at the Con, but when my local bookstore had it on the shelf, I snatched it up!  

   I am teetering between a 3.5 or a 4-star rating for Black Bird of the Gallows.  The magical realism or magical contemporary (if that is a thing) really made me think of Twilight.  There was some dialogue that instantly made me think of the awkward pauses and stares in the movie that Edward and Bella exchange.  It's not entirely a bad thing, however, I think that style of writing detracted from the overall plot of the story.  The main character, Angie has lived a troubled life and is living with her dad in a small Pennsylvania town.  She starts to fall for Reece, her new next-door neighbor, who happens to be a harbinger of death. 

   Angie's town is marked for a horrible disaster that will change her fate.  A majority of the book felt very surface level.  I wanted more into the Paranormal/Magical background of the characters.  Many instances or beings were just described as "ancient magic" and I wanted to know more!  I think with a little more fleshing out the plot could have been stronger and more developed.  Then why a lean towards a 4-star rating?  Of course, I am a sucker for romance.  I think I say it in about every review! I enjoyed Angie and Reece's relationship immensely.  I shipped them and I want my ships to sail away into the sunset!  I like happy endings and fortunately, Black Bird of the Gallows gives me that happy ending!

While my bones still screamed - "This is just like Twilight" - I loved those books! So, it wasn't a surprise that I enjoyed this supernatural romance.  It looks like there will be more to this story, with the next book, The Keeper of Bees coming out September 2018! 

Add to your Goodreads HERE!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beat The Back List 2018

So What's Going on With Book Blogging?